Lead Teacher - 4k Classroom
Pumpkin Patch Preschool - Stoughton, WI
$14-18 an hour - Full-time
Pumpkin Patch Preschool is a non-profit parent cooperative that has been in operation for 43 years, serving the Stoughton community. We are seeking a 4K teacher who is dedicated, energetic, and compassionate; loves kids, and wants to make a difference in the early childhood education of our students. Our instructors foster emotional, social, physical, and cognitive growth in a manner that respects and honors the individual needs of each child.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Instruct a classroom of 4- to 5- year old children, per the curriculum design prescribed by the Stoughton Area School District (SASD).
- Maintain a clean and organized classroom environment that stimulates and excites students of varying aptitudes.
- Design and implement strategies for building strong relationships with students and families.
- Conduct monthly classroom theme changes in alignment with the 4K curriculum set forth by the SASD.
- Record the development of each child, through observations and assessments in a manner that can be shared with families throughout the year and during parent/teacher conferences.
- Organize and lead field trips, ensuring that safety standards are met.
- Provide recommendations and referrals for children with special needs.
- Participate in parent-teacher conferences three times each year, monthly staff meetings, and other school-wide events, such as parent orientation night.
- Support school-wide requirements such as: maintenance of accurate accident logs, documentation of student attendance, classroom sanitation and ratio standards, and participation in emergency fire evacuation, tornado, and lock-down drills.
- Work collaboratively with all staff at PPP, ensuring that shared space and resources are utilized effectively.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Each Pumpkin Patch staff member is a childcare professional and is expected to act as such. The following general guidelines for professionalism should be maintained at all times:
- Adhere to the policies and guidelines set forth in the Pumpkin Patch Preschool policy handbook.
- Work with the staff, Pumpkin Patch Preschool Board of Directors and parents in a cooperative manner.
- Accept directions, suggestions and criticisms, and follow through in a constructive manner to improve performance.
- Notify the School Director of any absences or delays in arrival with as much advance notice as is reasonably possible, given the circumstances.
- Display a positive attitude, supporting the programs of PPP, its children, families, and co-workers.
- Respect confidential information regarding children, families, and co-workers.
- Dress appropriately for interaction with children.
Goals & Development
Our staff continually strive to be the best they can be, and as such, set annual goals and work towards them throughout the year. We expect our staff to:
- Work with the School Director each fall to set a SMART (Specific, Measurable, Agreed upon, Realistic, Time-based) goal for the coming school year.
- Meet regularly with the School Director to discuss progress made towards reaching goal and application of skills learned.
Four-year old kindergarten can be taught by an educator who holds an Early Childhood license or an Elementary Education license that includes pre-kindergarten or kindergarten in the grade levels of the license.
Because Pumpkin Patch Preschool is a licensed childcare facility, all employees must comply with State of Wisconsin licensing requirements. Applicants must:
- Meet the licensing requirements set forth by the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families for early childhood professionals.
- Submit to and pass a complete background check.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
The ideal applicant will have:
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience in a 4K classroom setting.
- The ability to build positive relationships with colleagues, children and their families.
- A passion for educating young learners and the motivation to create a unique classroom curriculum experience for children ages 4-5 years.
- The knowledge to prepare and maintain a developmentally-appropriate and enriching environment that encourages positive social and emotional growth for all school-aged children.
- The flexibility to adapt activities to a variety of of learning styles and aptitudes.
- Willingness to team and develop rapport with a classroom teaching assistant.
- Excellent negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- A collaborative and proactive attitude.
- Creative problem-solving experience.
Schedule must be able to accommodate a shift from 7:30 am – 3:30 pm Monday through Friday, and work in both an indoor and outdoor environment. Additional hours are required for conferences, monthly staff meetings, school events throughout the year, and school-year setup and teardown.
Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds. Must be able to stand, crouch, kneel, and sit on the floor.
Pay commensurate with education and experience. Range of $14-$18/hour.
Interested parties should submit a resume, cover letter, and Employment Application to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail the same to the address listed below.